Q. Is it required that a Christian have a certain kind of disposition? I know some Christians who are very unkind, who frown most of the time, and are generally difficult to get along with. What do the Scriptures Say?
Romans 12:1-21 (NASB’95 edition)
1 ¶ Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.
2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.
4 For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function,
5 so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.
6 Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith;
7 if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching;
8 or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good.
10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;
11 not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12 rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,
13 contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16 Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation.
17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men.
18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
19 Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, "VENGEANCE IS MINE, I WILL REPAY," says the Lord.
20 "BUT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD."
21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
A Genuine Christian is one who:
1. Sacrifices (gives)(vs. 1) (1 Cor. 6:19-20)
2. Is not worldly (vs. 2) (1 John 2:15-17; James 4:4)
3. Is Humble (not arrogant) (vs. 3) (Lk. 14:11)
4. Exercises (not lazy) (vs. 4-8) (1 Cor. 12:14-31)
5. Loves (likes people) (vs. 9) (Matthew 22:37-39)
6. Hates (dis-likes) (vs. 9) (Amos 5:15)
7. Brotherly (vs. 10) (1 Pet. 2:17)
8. Prejudice (favors his brethren) (vs. 10) (Gal. 6:10)
9. Diligent (not apathetic) (vs. 11) ( 2 Thess 3:10)
10. Fervent (not cold) (vs. 11) (Rev. 3:15-16)
11. Serves (not seeking to be served) (vs. 11) (Matt. 4:10)
12. Rejoices (has hope) (vs. 12) (Phil. 4:4)
13. Patient (not weak in tribulation) (vs. 12) (Matt. 13:20-21)
14. Benevolent (cooperational) (vs. 13) (James 1:27)
15. Hospitable (loves strangers) (vs. 13) (1 Pet. 4:9)
16. Christlike (vs. 14,17,20,21) (Matt. 5:38-39)
17. Compassionate (feels sympathy) (vs. 15) (Col. 3:12)
18. Not prejudice (toward people) (vs. 16) (James 2:1-4)
19. Honest (vs. 17) (Rom. 13:13)
20. Peaceable (does not sow discord) (vs. 18) (Rom. 14:19)